>> Study Abroad
>> Study in Europe
Universities in Hungary
The decline of population in Hungary since 1981 has opened door for international students to reside and pursue their higher education in this country. Most of the international students come to pursue full time degree in medical programs, as Hungary is well known for its medical schools.
And presently, around 20% of the total students in Hungary universities are from foreign countries. The majority of foreign students come mainly from Europe accounting to 79% of total foreign students. The rest of them come from Asia (16%), North America (3%), and Africa (2%).
Top universities in Hungary
- University of Szeged: The University which is considered as the best university in the whole of Hungary and also known as one amongst the prestigious universities in Europe offers a variety of courses. There are various schools in this university including medicine, dentistry, pharmacy, arts, music, economics and business, engineering etc. There are ~30,000 students pursuing a full degree program under this university in which ~1500 are international students. The tuition fees for medical programs is ~2500 Euro per annum while the hostel fees is around 80 to 100 Euro per annum.
- Eotvos Lorand University: This University located in the capital of Hungary, Budapest was ranked as the best university in Hungary along with university of Szeged. The university has eight faculties within which include law and political sciences, humanities, informatics, social sciences, education and psychology, science, etc.
- University of Debrecen: It is the oldest continuously operated institution in Hungary. This university provides its courses in English and is well known for its courses in the school of Medicine for international students. Along with medicine, you also get a host of other faculties within the university.
You do not require giving any special admission tests for getting admission into the Hungarian universities. The only requirement is the proof of proficiency in English language if you are taking up course in English. This can include presenting the score of internationally approved examinations like TOEFL or else you need to clear the proficiency tests by the universities during the initial period of your course.
Cost of Studying
The tuition fees in most of the universities in Hungary ranges from ~1000 to 3000 Euros per year, with that there is also a separate registration fee for any course you take that ranges from ~40 to 700 Euros. The cost of living is rather substantial in Hungary, with the cost of accommodation, food, books, entertainment allowance etc. everything can be done under the range of ~500 to 550 Euros per month.
The Hungarian Ministry of Education and Culture provides scholarships to the international students through Hungarian Scholarship Board Office. Scholarships are awarded under bilateral systems as well as scholarship pool systems.
Various kinds of scholarships provided in Hungary to international students are as follows:
- Semester studies: Here the student is awarded a monthly stipend of ~HUF 40,460. Accommodation of the student is also managed by the university for which the student has to pay.
- Postgraduate studies: A monthly stipend of ~HUF 79,200 along with ~HUF 70,000 monthly accommodation allowance is awarded. For scholarships shorter than 21 days, a daily stipend of ~HUF 1000 is given.
- Full PhD studies: Monthly stipend of ~HUF 100,000 is given and accommodation within the university residence is provided for which the student has to pay.
- Partial PhD: Similar as full PhD just for a shorter duration.
Study in Europe