Last Updated: October 09, 2021
Studying French in Europe
French is considered a romance language and is the official language of 29 countries. Candidates who seek to learn French do so due to the inherent value this international language has. People also aspire to learn the language if they wish to settle in France since the country has 90% of its population speak the tongue and requires foreign nationals to learn the language at least to an intermediate level. Learning the language helps candidates understand the French culture and history better making them advance their careers at an international level.
While France is the best place for candidates to learn French, most places in Europe offer French courses to international candidates who wish to learn and understand the language. French has an estimated population of 76 million native speakers and 235 million fluent speakers which makes it an important language to learn irrespective of the country one plans to move to. While learning the language in other parts of Europe, candidates will be able to understand the accents, slang, pronunciations, and other influences that helped evolve the language based on cultural influences.
Study French in UK
The United Kingdom offers international candidates courses for all prominent international languages. French being one of the most sought-after languages in the world, candidates flock over to Europe to study the language. Though the most popular destination for this is France, candidates who have been admitted to programs in the UK often enroll within the country for French programs.
Almost every high-end institution in the country offers a French language course. Apart from these institutions, other language schools within the country offer French courses for candidates with different proficiency levels.
Institut Francais du Royaume- Uni
This institution was founded in the year 1910 which aspires to teach people about the French culture and language. The language center they have takes in around 7,000 students every year for both online and offline programs. Candidates will be able to learn French courses, business French, and other aspects of French culture from the courses they take. The courses they provide include group courses, business French courses, private courses, and even online courses. The courses that are offered under the group course section are-
- General French Courses- This course is offered for candidates who are at a Beginner level to Mastery level and the cost of a Beginner’s program is £30 for 1 week.
- Conversation & Grammar- This course is offered to candidates who are at an Elementary level to Intermediate and Expert level ones. The cost is £139 for 5 weeks for a Fluent to Expert program.
- Professional French- This is offered to candidates who are fluent in the language and has a duration of 15 weeks in general. The cost of the program is £350.
- Young Learners- This course is offered to GCSE and A-level candidates who can be at a Beginner, Elementary, or Intermediate level in their French proficiency. The cost of the program starts from £350 for a week.
- Preparation Courses for French Exams- They offer DELF B1, B2, and C1 exam prep to candidates. The cost of the program starts from £350 for 10 weeks.
This institution is spread across the world in different countries offering both offline and online French courses to candidates. They have both group classes for General French and private tuitions. Candidates will be able to study from a fully structured syllabus from beginner to fluent levels with no extra fee levied for teaching materials or as a membership fee. They will be taught by a native French speaker.
- Group Classes- They offer programs with durations of 12 weeks, 6 weeks, and 2 weeks. The names of programs include Twice a Week Courses, 2-Week Intensive Courses, Once a Week courses, and Saturday Morning Courses. The cost of the program starts from £315.
- Private Tuition- Private tuitions are provided to candidates on a one-to-one basis, for couples, for groups of 3 to 8, and groups of 9 or more. The rate per hour begins at £65.
Study French in France
One of the best options for candidates who wish to learn French is to study it in immersion in France. Learning French in France will help candidates understand the local culture and traditions of the place that has influenced the language. They will also be able to communicate with the locals for a better understanding of the language and also to develop the perfect accent the language requires.
France also offers language immersion programs at affordable rates with durations that suit each candidate's needs. Candidates will be able to learn the language best in locations like Paris, Lyon, Bordeaux, Marseille, etc. which will all provide them with a different experience. A few of the programs that are offered in France include-
This language school is located in Montpellier and offers both online and offline programs to candidates. They have special programs for adults, teenagers and juniors, groups, and teachers of French. Over 2,000 students study per year in this school who come from over 75 countries in the world. The courses that are provided to adults are-
- Standard Course- This course has a duration of 1 to 3 weeks depending on how long the candidate wants to learn and is for candidates who are at a beginner’s level. The cost of the program is €230 per week.
- Intensive Course- This course has a duration of 1 to 3 weeks depending on how long the candidate wants to stay and is provided to candidates who have prior knowledge of the language. The cost of the program is €330 per week.
- Super Intensive Course- This course has a duration of 1 to 3 weeks and is for candidates who wish to master the language within a short duration of time. It is aimed at candidates who have prior knowledge of the language. The cost of the program is €510 per week.
- Long Stay Standard Course- This course is for candidates who are willing to stay for an extended duration to study the language. They will be placed in immersion and can be of different proficiency levels in the language. The cost of the program is €170 per week and the duration of the program is over 12 weeks.
EF International Language Camp
This institution provides courses for group learning and private learning along with French certification prep. The candidates who enroll here will be taught by fully trained and certified teachers. Candidates will also be provided with accommodation and meals along with academic materials. The courses that are offered include-
- EF Intensive Course- This program is offered for a duration of 2 to 52 weeks and is of a Beginner to Advanced level.
- EF Basic Course- This course has a duration of 2 to 12 weeks and focuses on the understanding and speaking parts of language learning. It is from a Beginner to an Advanced level.
- EF General Course- This course has a duration of 2 to 52 weeks and is held year-round. The program is from a Beginner to an Advanced level.
- Official Language Exams- This program preps candidates for exams like DALF, DELF, DELE, HSK, and more. The duration of the course is between 2 to 52 weeks and is from a Beginner to an Advanced level.
Study French in Luxembourg
Candidates who wish to move to Luxembourg or stay in the country for studying French in immersion will realize that the country is a melting pot of cultures especially when it comes to language. Since the official languages here include French and German, most institutions and language schools in the country provide courses for both. Since 98% of the country is fluent in French, they offer excellent French courses for international candidates whose proficiency level in the language may be varied.
The main places from where candidates can study French include government-recognized institutions, non-profit associations, and even private institutions though this may cost more than the others. A few of the popular language schools include-
Institut National des Languages
This institute offers candidates language programs in 8 different languages including French. The courses consist of general language courses for beginners and non-beginners and courses with specific objectives. They also provide certification of language skills in French for an Elementary/advanced diploma. A few of their courses include the following whose price list is available on their official website.
- Beginner Intensive
- Intermediate Standard
- Intermediate Intensive
- Advanced Oral Workshop
Institut Francais Luxembourg
This is the official French government center for the French language and culture. They offer courses to candidates who are of different age groups and even courses for French proficiency exam prep like DELF and DALF. They use an immersive method to teach French to candidates which helps them not in studying the language in isolation but understanding the culture and traditions that led to what the language is today. They offer private tuition, e-learning private tuition, group courses, workshops for children, and in-company language training programs. A few of the group courses that are offered are-
- Intensive Group Courses- This course is offered to candidates of all proficiency levels and is of a duration of 60 hours in all which is spread across 4 weeks. Each group will consist of 3 to 7 learners only. The cost of the session is €1,190.
- Saturday Morning Courses- This course is offered to candidates who wish to prepare for the DELF and DALF examinations. The courses are from A1 to C1 and each class will consist of a group of 3 to 7 learners only. The fee for the course is €650.
- Lunchtime Courses- This is also a program offered for DELF and DALF exam prep and the course ranges from A1 to C1 levels. The fee for the course is €650.
Study French in Monaco
The official language of Monaco is French and while Italian, English, and Monegasque are also widely spoken in the country, it is an added benefit for people to know France before going there. Candidates who wish to learn the language in immersion most often travel to France to understand and learn the language faster. But since this isn’t an option for everybody, Monaco offers candidates an alternative option for studying French.
The country has a number of language schools that teach French for students who are at different proficiency levels. A few of these popular places are-
The Regency School of Languages
This school was established in the year 1985 and is based only in Monaco. The teachers who teach the language are native speakers with university degrees in the subject. They are accredited and offer a wide variety of courses in different languages ranging from general language courses to language proficiency prep. The programs they offer include-
- Individual Courses- This is a one-to-one program which is offered at a rate of €69 per hour. There is also a package of 30-hours for €1,965.
- 2 Students Course- This course is offered on a two-people basis at a rate of €80 per hour.
- Groups 3-6 Course- This course has an option for 30 hours where 2 weekly sessions will be held for 10 weeks for a rate of €1,110 per student and one for 15 hours held in one week for a rate of €555 per student.
Home Language International- Monte Carlo
The HLI offers candidates with language programs in over 20 languages across 30 different countries in the world. The programs they offer are all in immersion helping candidates understand and learn the language better. They offer programs for children and teenagers, Adults and Professionals, and online courses. A few of the programs offered to adults and professionals are-
- Classic Language Program- This program includes a -week full board accommodation and private language lessons for 1 student at the rate of €50 per hour. Candidates can take courses for 10 to 30 hours.
- Language Program with Cultural Excursions- This includes 1-week full board accommodation along with private lessons for candidates. Candidates will be able to take 10 to 25-hour lessons and cultural excursions with the price starting from €2,210.
Studying French Online
One of the best options for candidates who wish to learn French but cannot afford the travel expenses associated with it is to take up online courses. Due to the rising importance of the French language in the international market especially in relation to business and arts, learning French will always be beneficial for candidates even if they do not pursue it further.
A few many online platforms have come up with programs that let candidates study the language online. These programs deal with the vocabulary, spelling, pronunciation, and even accent that the candidates will require in both formal and informal settings making candidates excel in the language in no time. The programs that are offered are at different levels like Beginner, Intermediate, and Advanced letting candidates choose according to the proficiency level they have in the language. Though immersion is not possible with online classes, most programs try to make it as real as possible for the candidate and the affordability of online programs makes it even better.
A few of the popular online programs are-
Duolingo is an e-learning app that offers candidates free French lessons in the form of bite-sized lessons. They develop writing, reading, listening, and speaking skills in candidates by using a game model that candidates will be able to access at their leisure from their phones. Spending 20 minutes a day with the app lets candidates learn and understand the language according to the effort they put into it. They use-
- 155 Modules in the French Language
- Virtual Flashcards
- Listening Exercises
- Multiple-Choice Questions
Udemy offers candidates with online programs for the different proficiency levels they are in at the beginning of the course. The courses they offer range from general French language courses to Pronunciation courses and DELF/DALF exam prep. The course rates for Udemy are reasonable when compared to the offline programs that candidates generally opt for. A few of the popular courses include-
- 3-Minute French- Course 1- This course is offered to beginners in the language and deals with everyday communication candidates will have to deal with. The course will be taught to candidates in 3-minute sessions that they will be able to access at their leisure. The cost of the program is €455.
- French for Beginners: Level1- This course deals with basic French language skills and also focuses on building a strong foundation in the language. It is taught by a native French speaker and is based on practical French. The cost of the course is €455.