Best Life Sciences Universities in Europe.
The potential applications of Life Sciences is enormous, but the right guidance and curriculum is required for a student who wishes to shine in this field. Europe as a whole is home to a number of extremely old and famous universities, where students are immersed into a rigorous curriculum, are provided with the necessary guidance to succeed in this highly competitive field.
Why Life Sciences from Europe?
Europe is rich in its cultural diversity, is home to people from various ethnic and linguistic backgrounds. This diversity will change and improve your world view, help you to become a better student.
Universities here have large research funds; so cutting edge research labs are the norm, other than great facilities, the number of challenges and opportunities available here makes it possible to achieve breakthroughs in the field of Life Sciences.
The faculty in most universities are world leaders of their field. Other than having excellent subject knowledge, they also are gifted teachers from whom you can learn a lot.
Most of these universities are also associated with other prominent research institutes and life science companies from the industry. This opens up other avenues of future employment, will increase the number of options which you have.
Top Life Sciences Universities in Europe
1. UNIVERSITY OF CAMBRIDGE, UNITED KINGDOM:
2. ETH ZURICH, SWITZERLAND:
- It is a public research-oriented University situated in Cambridge, and is
a leading University in the Life Sciences sector ranked number 2 in the world.
- Thanks to its large endowment, this University has state of the art laboratories and excellent faculty, offers various specializations in the field of Life Sciences with a emphasis on basic research.
- The general requirements to get into a course here include:
- A very strong academic profile.
- Exceptional IELTS or TOEFL score.
- An all-rounder profile with large amounts of extracurricular activities.
- Before the final decision is taken, an interview will be conducted.
- Belonging to the League of European Universities and the International Alliance of Research Institutes, the university is also affiliated to MIT in U.S.A.
- Research is carried out in both the small-scale and large-scale levels in many areas of
modern science such as Cancer and Molecular Biology with collaborations with many
organizations such as Cambridge Stem-Cell Institute and Cambridge Neuroscience.
- While funding is available in the form of grants and scholarships, it is available only for the exceptionally brilliant.
3. WAGENINGEN UNIVERSITY AND RESEARCH CENTER, NETHERLANDS:
- Located in Zurich, ETH is an outstanding University for Research-oriented studies.
- General requirements of the Life Sciences courses include:
- A strong academic profile
- TOEFL or IELTS is advised but not a mandatory requirement.
- Competent University entrance examinations.
- This University offers comprehensive courses in various areas of Life Sciences, provides its students with a tough curriculum along with hands on research experiences in the different research centers it is affiliated with; namely Genomics Center Zurich and Cancer Network Zurich.
- Financial guidance is available in the form of awards and assistantships.
4) Luis Pasture Institute in Paris
- Situated at Wageningen in Netherlands, it is one of the top grade European Universities for Life Sciences with excellent Research facilities.
- General requirements for the Life Sciences courses include:
- A very strong academic profile.
- High TOEFL or IELTS score
- Excellent mathematics skills.
- Advanced Research is carried out in the different areas of Life Sciences by its faculty.
- Funding is available through grants and fellowships but is limited and competitive.
While not a university in the real sense, the Luis Pasture Institute is one of the best in the world as far as fundamental biological research is concerned, offers PhD degrees to students. While getting admission here is highly competitive, will require an extraordinary profile, it will be worth the effort since the institute is home to more Nobel Prize winners than most countries!
There are in addition to the above many other excellent universities in Europe. So even if you do not get into any of the above universities, try for the others.